Sunday 27 March 2011

Revision Units 5A and 5B

If you missed last Dulce's class...Click HERE and see the document for the speaking and listening tasks of the class.
.
.
REMEMBER:   Infinitive or -ing?

When to use the infinitive
1)    1)   after certain verbs:
- forget, help, learn, teach, remember
- expect, hope, need, offer, want, would like
- agree, pretend, promise
- allow, can/can't afford, decide, manage, mean, refuse
  • Don’t forget to lock the doors.
  • Mark needs to leave early tomorrow
  • Why do you want to learn English?
  • We can't afford to go on holiday this year.
  • She's decided not to call him again
2)    2)    after adjectives, for example:
- good, glad, happy, pleased, difficult, easy, sad, surprised, impossible
  • I was happy to help Tom.
  • She will be surprised to see you.
  • Is it easy to speak Italian?
This includes too + adjective:
  • The water was too cold to swim in.
  • Is your tea too hot to drink
3) Infinitive of PURPOSE (why?)
  
  • I went to the bank to get some money.
  • We phoned the restaurant to book a table.
  • Sharon left the room to go to the toilet.
When to use -ing
   1)   When the word is the subject of a sentence or clause:
  • Swimming is the best exercise.
  • Doctors say that smoking can be bad for you.
2)    After a preposition:
  • I look forward to seeing you again.
  • Jane left without saying "Goodbye."
  • He is awful at telling lies
3)  3) After certain verbs:
-hate,  avoid, dislike, enjoy, finish, give up, mind/not mind, practise
  • I hate getting up early.
  • Would you mind opening the window?
  • I enjoy not doing anything 
**Some verbs can be followed by the -ing form or the infinitive without a big difference in meaning: begin, continue, hate, intend, like, love, prefer, propose, start.
  • It started to rain = It started raining.
  • I prefer to stay at home = I prefer staying at home
  • I like to play the flute =I like playing the flute.
_________________________________________________________________ 

6 comments:

Esther said...

Hi Dulce,
Queen is one of the bands that I like.
I think this is a song with double meaning to sexuality. It´s a complaint that part of society that doesn´t respect all sexual orientations.
I think it´s a very clever way to express and defend the things you create.
I really enjoyed watching the video and hear the song. Thank.
See you
Esther

Monica said...

Hi Dulce,
I've heard this song many times but this is the first time I see the video clip.
Freddy Mercuri was great
See you this evening
Mónica

Dulce said...

Thank you, GIRLS!!!

Anonymous said...

Freddie Mercury was and will be forever a provocative, elegant and eternal.
I love this song and video clip.
See you.
Leire

Manuel said...

Hi Dulce!
Queen is one of the most famous bands of the pop world. The video was really useful when released mainly by the performance of Freddy Mercury.
See you in April!

Mª Carmen Montero said...

I love Queen. I have always liked hear their song. You have made a good choice.

see you soon

Mª Carmen Montero

Facebook

Facebook
Hazte amig@ nuestr@ en Facebook!